Here in Florida, it's no secret that our summers can be pretty hot and humid. You've probably experienced how quickly things can go downhill without air conditioning. The problem is, it can be really difficult to cut costs on your electric bill when our hottest weather is at its peak.
So how can you stay cool without having to pay an arm and a leg for air conditioning, while also preserving your AC unit? Continue reading to learn the temperature that Floridians are cooling off with and how you can trim your costs this year.
The Average Thermostat Temperature vs the Recommended Temperature
In Florida, our summer weather can range anywhere from 90-95 degrees during the day and 75-80 degrees in the evening. It's no wonder why our AC units get so much use!
So, what is the average temperature that your neighbors in Central Florida cooling off with? Most Florida residents prefer a thermostat setting of 74-76 degrees Fahrenheit. While this temperature will keep you nice and cool, it is likely that the energy bills of these homes are pretty high.
The US Department of Energy suggests that you keep your thermostat to 78 degrees when at home in order to maintain a comfortable temperature while also keeping your energy bill relatively low.
Tips to Cool off Your Home without Touching the Thermostat
While 78 degrees is the recommended temperature for your home, we understand that this can feel a little bit hot, especially if you are used to keeping your thermostat around 75 degrees. Luckily, there are ways to cool off your home without touching the thermostat:
- Keep your blinds closed. This will prevent heat from creeping in through your windows.
- Make sure your ceiling fans are rotating counter-clockwise. This will ensure that the cool air is being directed downward towards your floor.
- Keep unused rooms closed off. If your family is not using the room, there is no need to keep it cool. Make sure to close the vents in this room and close the doors.
How to Preserve Your AC Unit during the Hot Summer Months
- Regularly maintain your AC unit. In order for your AC unit to run its best, regular maintenance should be scheduled at least once per year. This maintenance is meant to run a check on your unit's filters, fins, and coils. It's also the time to replace any worn parts that may otherwise be causing your unit to be overworked.
- Refrain from constantly adjusting the thermostat. Every time you change the temperature, your unit uses extra energy which will wear it down faster. Also, the hotter it is outside, the harder your unit has to work to reach your ideal temperature.
- Turn the AC off when you don't need it. When you and your family are spending time away from home, you can save quite a bit on your electric bill and preserve your unit simply by turning the AC unit off or by bumping it up a few degrees before you leave.
Did you know? With annual maintenance, your AC unit can have a lifespan of 15-20 years.
Call us today to schedule your annual air conditioning unit checkup!
Our company has been in the industry since 2012. Our experts can maintain your air conditioning unit and ensure that it is running smoothly throughout the hottest months of the year. Annual maintenance checkups will allow us to catch any worn or broken parts and fix them before you are left with an unusable unit.
We proudly offer our services to properties in Plant City, Lakeland, Winter Haven, and nearby areas in Central Florida. If you're looking to schedule AC maintenance services for your home or business, give us a call today at (863) 667-6364 to set up an appointment.
Let's hear your thoughts.
We want to hear your opinion, let us know what you think!
Thanks for your comment!
Thanks for your feedback! Your comments have been successfully submitted! Please note, all comments require admin approval prior to display.
Error submitting comment!
There is a problem with your comment, please see below.